Friday, July 30, 2010

Last Day in Zambia

The last 24 hours has been one of the most joyful and spiritually invigorating days in my life. I've been shown joy like never before. In fact- I've never laughed and cry so much in one day.

There's so many stories to share, so for time's sake I'll stick to a couple. I want to share a story and offer encouragement (I shared this with the Americans here on Thursday night). Yesterday (Thursday) I spent the afternoon with my boys in their compound called Kabanana. Our task was to pass out flour, oil, and sugar to the poor in their community. My kids prayed for the people we encountered, did chores around the house, and shared the Gospel. What's crazy is that every person in their neighborhood is in need....the worst imaginable neighborhood you know of is their home. So, towards the end of our trip we found a lady pushing a wheel burrow with about 4 thirty to fifty pound water buckets. My boys sought this lady out and pushed the water about 100 yards to her house, then went back down the hill to draw more water. It took them about 20 minutes just go down and back to get more water. So, because this lady was freed up we got to witness to her friend, who was not a believer, and she ended up accepting the Lord...really cool. As I was kneeling, praying with my kids as they were leading this widow to the Lord, I began to savor the moment and thinking about what the Bible says about true religion- to love the widows and orphans. Here I was (not doing anything) and these orphans were serving this widow and now leading her to know the Lord! I witnessed a miracle.

Here's an encouragement. As we were talking with our first group of women, one of my kids from last year, Felix, was just walking down the street and found us. He didn't get to come to Camp Life this year because there were not enough spots (i.e. only as many kids get to come to camp as we have American counselors). I asked Felix if he wanted to join us, and he spent the rest of the day with us. I gave him my bandanna and he spent the day praying, serving, and ministering to people as if he had been with us all week. He mentioned to me before we left about how his faith was stronger than ever. He looked great. Then, as we were on the bus ride home, we stopped a the Kabanana CRC and I heard a kid say "Uncle Travis!". There in the street was ANOTHER one of my kids (Angel) from the last two years who wasn't on the list and didn't get to come to Camp Life. He looked very healthy and just like Felix, reiterated how well he was doing and how he was walking close to the Lord. Seeing my two boys was a blessing from the Lord because I was reminded how just pouring a week's worth of love into a child has an impact we can't understand. The same goes for you- you don't necessarily always get to see God's work, but any time and energy you may be pouring into someone in need is so worth it. Plus- God will ultimately work in their lives...we just have to be obedient.

I've got a ton more stories but not enough battery on this computer. I'll be heading for Israel tomorrow and will be there until 8/4....Please pray that I will get to experience Jesus's presence like never before.

Love y'all- God is so good!

Travis

No comments: