Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Joy & the Holy Spirit

Hello all!

Camp Life has picked up quiet a bit since Monday- I have been blessed to be a part of God doing some really cool things.

Tuesday was definitely a blessing- God revealed His joy to me in several neat ways. First, I was running fever Monday night and still on Tuesday morning. Only having Camp Life for 5 days meant that I really didn't want to be sick any because I wanted to give my kids all that I had. I prayed that the fever would go away, and God answered. By 10am on Tuesday morning the fever was gone and I felt better than ever. I also had the opportunity to do 5 blessing times (one on ones with each child) and really was encouraged by how they were all doing. A few of the boys have really started to read the Bible and apply it to their lives- very encouraging since they're only 12-16 years old. These kids are so much more exposed to tragedy and bad things at an early age, so really they've lived through things most of us don't see in a lifetime. At lunch my boys served a girls group lunch- I'm teaching them how to be true gentlemen as in Zambia girls are treated as second rate citizens. They seemed to enjoy this and were very shy during our brief time together. In the afternoon we had our sex talk and we shared with the the story of Solomon, I threw out some Tommy Nelson one liners, and we used an analogy to show the guys how vulnerable they are when sleeping around. HIV is such a huge problem- 1/6 people in Zambia have aids...it's truly out of control. But- praise the Lord- two of my 5 new kids accepted Christ (John and Luke) later in the day:)

Today (Wednesday) was another amazing day. My fever subsided yet again and we really tried to share with the boys in a very practical sense what Grace is and who the Holy Spirit is and how he works in our lives. We actually read scripture from John 12 about how the Holy Spirit, our counselor, is always with us and teaches us "all things". I'd never really thought about that before...he teaches us all things...not just some things. Both my Zambian counselors shared stories with our group about how the Holy Spirit worked specifically in their lives. I want to share one in particular.

Noah was in the front seat of a bus on his trip through Lusaka one day; he was in the very front seat in the corner by the windshield. For some reason Zambians love the front seat (shotgun!). So..as he was riding he felt the Holy Spirit leading him to just get off the bus. He didn't know why...but finally he just got off and caught the next bus. About fifteen minutes later, his new bus drove up on the bus he had been riding. That bus has crashed into a ditch, and the seat he was sitting in had been completely crushed all the way to the other side of the bus frame...if you getting chills right now...so did I!

Later today we took a trip to the new LRC (Lifeway Christian Schools) to see the new schools and how they were being put up. This location was actually a old World Hunger site (not exactly the right name) that had been abandoned. Family Legacy has been testing four schools and they've had remarkable results in effectively educating kids. When we got to the LRC probably 200 kids atleast crowded around our buses and as we got out jumped into our arms. I've got some great pics, but it was amazing just holding these kids. They are so poverty stricken but so joyous to see us. It was a true reminder of why I am here.

Tomorrow we'll be traveling into Kabanana Compound to visit my kids village and pass out flour, honey, and oil and bless people in their community. Please pray that me and my boys will be courageous and filled with the Holy Spirit to touch those in need. Also please pray that I will be an encouragement to both orphans, Zambian Staff, and Americans and that I will "leave it all on the field." I am praying for all my donors as again this trip would not be possible without you.

Love & Ztwownana Milo (see you tomorrow in Nanja),

Travis
Isaiah 40:31

No comments: