Monday, September 15, 2008

I Know So Little


Week two is in the books, and I can definitely say that 95% of my time is now devoted to school. Some really neat things have happened, and I thought I'd share a few of those "ah ha" moments with everyone.
Last week in our Entrepreneurial Journey class I was asked by master teach Jack Long to open up the case. Basically what this means is that I get to be the business owner in the case we're studying and I get to make a pending decision based upon several pages of notes. As soon as you get done, your classmates start firing from all directions to challenge or support your answer. Tonight I got to review my opening via our new online video system, which, by the way, is amazing. Standing still and being more concise were just a couple of things that I witnessed that I definitely need to work on. I told Dad that I felt like I was getting back up for an opening in Mock Trial. It was fun, and I certainly learned a lot about being prepared. On a lighter note, there was a point in the class that was pretty hilarious (this may not be that funny because you were not there). Jack asked me if my name was R"ee"s or R"i"s; the business owner in this case had a unique last name. So I replied, "It's R"ee"s." Jack said, "Well how do you know it's R"ee"s?" Already in character mode, I replied, "Because I'm Bob R"ee"s." This is when everyone in the class cracked up laughing. I particularly like Jack's class because each day he gets someone to yell "Good morning!" to kind of liven up the class. So far we've yelled good morning in about three different languages. I think I may volunteer next time and say it in Ynanja (one of many Zambian languages). It's "Mui Bwanji" I believe. I need to double check.

Okay, enough about class- I wanted to update everyone on what else is going on (although not much else is going on because of my commitment to Acton). Labor day weekend my roomate Tully was nice enough to take my buddy Scott and me out on Lake Austin; for the first time I learned how to surf behind a boat...it really made me want to hop on flight back to Maui. I have had a little time available to watch the Frogs play. I watched the game at a sports bar/restaurant called The Tavern since I dont' have Direct TV. TCU won 31-14 this week over Stanford, and (by the way) the Mountain West Conference was 4-0 against the Pac 10...I was pretty proud fo this feat. I'll stop here on the football note. Oh yeah- some of my buddies from school and I have been attending Hillcountry Bible Church-UT, which is right on the UT campus. I feel really "at home" at HBC- it has definitely been a great way to recharge spiritually before the week gets going.

One last thing, I did want to touch on a class we have called "Life of Meaning". Although what goes on in this class is confidential between classmates, I did want to share my experience. One of the things asked of us in LOM is to figure out our ethical framwork. What guiding truth do we use in our life that serves as our compass? Let me just say that it is refreshing to know that absolute truths exists. Your conscious, a sunset, or a waterful are all hints of how marvelous our Creator is. Likewise, I consider myself underservingly blessed to have been shown grace and truth. The challenge for me now is to live that out more courageously each day. Today we actually talked about honesty and how that is lived out in our personal and business lives. This topic hinted more and more to integrity, which reminded me of a saying my grandmother, Mimi, used to say. She'd say, "Remember that your reputation is like a piece of paper...once it's folded, there's always a crease."

I hope everyone is doing well. Have a truly blessed week and keep in touch! Go Frogs...beat the Ponies!

Sincerely,

Travis

"A good name is more desirable than great riches..." Proverbs 22:1

No comments: